Fans traveling through Chicago O’Hare and Midway International Airports this summer should be mindful of the following tips:
- Security: The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) may experience longer than usual wait times at security checkpoints during the busy summer travel season weekend given the influx of travelers.
- Construction: Visitors will find that construction continues at O’Hare, especially in Terminal 5 and along the curbsides and roadways of Terminals 1, 2 and 3. While these projects create temporary disruptions to airport operations and can add to the travel time, they are essential to expand new facilities and modernize infrastructure.
Take the Train To & From the Airports
- O’Hare: The CTA Blue Line train — conveniently connected to Terminals 1, 2 and 3 — travels between O’Hare Station, the downtown Loop and surrounding neighborhoods. Connections from Terminal 5 are available via the airport’s ATS train shuttle.
- Midway: The CTA Orange Line train travels between Midway Station, the downtown Loop and surrounding neighborhoods. Located next to the airport terminal, it is connected by an enclosed walkway.
Travel Safety Notes
- COVID-19 Travel Guidance: Chicago remains at a “High” risk level for COVID-19, according to the Chicago Department of Public Health(CDPH). While there are no current mandates, CDPH strongly recommends wearing mask in public indoor spaces.
- Face coverings: Current federal guidance recommends all employees and travelers ages 2 and up wear a well-fitting mask or respirator while at indoor transportation facilities, including airports.
New Amenities for Families on the Go
- Nursing rooms: New Mamava portable lactation pods have been installed at both airports. The pods are freestanding spaces intentionally designed with easy-to-clean surfaces and app-enabled access to provide a comfortable and private option to breastfeed or pump. The pods supplement the six Mother’s Rooms available at O’Hare and one at Midway.
- New vending machines: Travelers will find the addition of one of the largest and most innovative airport concession vending programs in the country. Nine new vendors provide state-of-the-art, low-touch, 24/7 offerings from healthy prepared food and beverages, to cosmetics, electronics and baby essentials, to gourmet cupcakes, specialty popcorn, and LEGOS®.
- Complimentary Airport Activity Book: Ask a volunteer at an Information Desk for a FREE Chicago Airports Activity & Coloring Book. Draw, coloring and learn fun facts about O’Hare and Midway. You can also download a digital copy for your mobile phone or tablet at https://www.flychicago.com/jrflightcrew/.
- Family Lounge: Located at O’Hare Terminal 2 (near Gate F1), the Family Lounge offers a designated space for kids to play. There is colorful seating along with device charging stations and, for those traveling with an infant, there’s stroller parking, too. Enjoy live entertainment at various times throughout the year featuring musicians, caricature artists and more.
Travelers bound for Chicago’s airports can make the most informed decisions about how to access any of the above airport services by visiting flychicago.com.
The website contains maps, real-time information about flights, parking updates, taxicab wait times, available concession businesses, and other special alerts for the traveling public. The updated “My Flight” search page shows specific flight updates along with amenities located near the flight gate and other targeted travel resources.